Thursday, February 17, 2011

Playing WIth Fire by Theo Fleury

I just finished reading Theoren Fleury's autobiography, Playing With Fire. I thought it was incredible.  It chronicles his life from minor hockey all the way up to his attempt at an NHL comeback. It's a story of neglect, abuse, winning, losing, drugs, alcohol, love, pride and hockey. He pulls no punches when talking about former opponents, teammates, coaches, lovers or himself. He lays it all out on the table. No holding back the details. (No holding back on the language either) It amazes me that he could be such a good hockey player at such an elite level given the lifestyle he led. It's a story of reconciliation and triumph over one's own demons. This inspiring book has left me with a deep respect for Theo Fleury. Hockey fan or not, I highly recommend this book.

No comments: