Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Skip this if you don't like sports

Just because I think it might start a discussion (and I'm bored) I thought I'd talk about my favorite sports teams. By league. Yes, I'm that bored.

NHL

Chicago Blackhawks: My dad is a Maple Leafs fan so perhaps I was born one too. But my dad also bought me my first Blackhawks jersey. We got it at a yard sale for me to use as a practice jersey back in the mid-80's. One thing lead to another (Denis Savard, Chelios, Larmer, Belfour, Roenick etc) and the Blackhawks became my team. It might even have been fate. Bobby Orr announced his retirement on the very day that I was born. As a Blackhawk.

Chicago is the only team I really cheer for. But if I really had to choose some other teams they'd be the Minnesota Wild, Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers.

MLB

American League

Toronto Blue Jays: I've always been a Jays fan. Despite many terrible seasons. They are the "hometown team". No matter how bad they get, they'll always be my favourite.

Cleveland Indians: As if the Jays weren't bad enough. I've been a fan for a long time. From back when Albert Belle and Man-Ram patrolled the OF. I bought a pair of red and blue batting gloves about 15 years ago because they matched the ones the Indians wore. I still wear them today.

I also have soft spots for Minnesota (Morneau!), Oakland Athletics and Josh Hamilton is making me into a Rangers fan.

National League

Philadelphia Phillies: This is not a jump on the bandwagon. I've like them, at least a little, for a long time. John Kruk had a lot to do with that. Over the years they have developed and brought in players to assemble a great team. Probably the best infield in the league, a great outfield and the league's best pitcher in Roy Halladay. What's not to love?!

I'm also a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, New York Mets and (not as much as I used to be) Arizona Diamondbacks.

NFL

NFC

Philadelphia Eagles: I've been an Eagles fan since Randall Cunningham was QB. He was awesome. The Eagles seem like a team that is destined NOT to win. They look like they are going all the way but never bring home the prize.  They are my team anyway. They'll win the Super Bowl eventually. Look how long I had to wait for the Blackhawks!

I also like the New Orleans Saints (not a bandwagon jumper. When I was a kid I thought their uniforms were awesome.), Minnesota Vikings and to a lesser extent the Atlanta Falcons and Green Bay Packers.

AFC

San Diego Chargers: A lot of my choices are based on how much I liked their uniforms as a kid. When I was 11 I thought lightning bolts were so cool! So I've been a fan ever since. Drew Brees and LT helped with that too. I like Philip Rivers too.

I also like the Cinncinati Bengals and New York Jets.

CFL

Edmonton Eskimos: Shortly after I started watching the CFL and decided I liked the Eskies, I found out that my step-dad was buddies with the Eskimo's Leroy Blough.  He even came by the house a few times. They are pretty bad this year but that's no reason to bail on the team.

I don't mind the BC Lions. Partly because I went to elementary and high school with Brent Johnson. We even rode the same bus for a while.

MLS

Toronto FC: I don't watch soccer that much but TFC is the only team I care about. I don't follow any of the European leagues.

NBA

I don't mind playing basketball but I can't watch it. No interest what so ever. I do like Steve Nash though.

 

Well, that burned some time. And now you know what teams I like when you want to buy me something for Christmas or my birthday!

No comments: