Friday, August 21, 2009

I don't get it.

I bought a suit today. First time since 1998. So I didn't know my  shirt size or my jacket size. Which wouldn't have been the same as 11 years ago.(16.5 and 42 Short, respectively. Smaller now, if you can believe it.)  I went to 5 different stores looking for something in my price range.  All the ones I could find in my range sucked. So I went a little higher. I didn't want to spend much considering how often I wear them. But I didn't want a "cheap suit". I went with a plain black. The ones with subtle pinstripes were nice but I wanted a simple one for now.

So the jacket fit nice and all that. The pants were right around the waist. But they were way long. I overheard the guy telling someone else that all the pants come with a 36 inch inseam. Here's where it gets interesting. My suit is a 42 Short. The short is for people 5'9" or shorter. Who in the world is 5'9" or shorter, with a 36" inseam. Seriously? They would be all leg. Not so bad on a lady, but not a man. I'm 5'8" and they pants came down to my toes. And I think I am pretty well proportioned. Why wouldn't they make it at least a 32" and then if they get a leggy freak, they could switch out the pants? I don't get it. Then again, life isn't simple, so why should buying a suit be?

I ended up with a nice suit, (hemmed to my apparently short-ass legs) a shirt and tie for under $300 after tailoring and tax. More than I wanted to spend but I am gonna look GOOD!

(Did I mention I was trying on suits wearing baggy cargo shorts, a Cattle Decapitation t-shirt and ball cap? And I hadn't shaved in like 4 days?

No comments: